June 2012: Dinner and a Movie at Fire Lake Camp
Thank you to Bob and Julie Zoller for hosting one of the best events in KC this summer at Fire Lake Camp! The perfect setting. The perfect movie. The perfect dinner. Enjoy the photos (thank you David Letts!) AND recipes from the meal. Thanks also goes to our local producers for this meal:
Green Dirt Farm
Casa Somerset Bed and Breakfast
Farm to Market Bread
Somerset Ridge Vineyard and Winery
Parker Farms Meats
Jasper’s Italian Sausage
Various farmers from Overland Park Farmers Market and Paola Farmers Market
– Jamie, George, Linda, Mike and Margaret
Slow Food Kansas City
Timpano di Capellini Rosso
Recipe courtesy of Judy Francini
- 2 lbs. capellini (birds’ nests) pasta
- 2 lbs. Italian sausage, browned and drained well
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. grated parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 4 oz. butter
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 lb. Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise very thinly
- 4 oz. basil leaves, chopped
- 1 lb. thinly sliced cheese, such as mozzarella or asiago
- 3 lbs. eggplant
- 8 oz. Italian breadcrumbs
- Grease a large, deep stainless steel bowl (~ 12 in. diameter) and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs.
- Brown sausage and drain grease. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, chopped basil and season with salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes to taste, if desired.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into ¼” thick slices, place on paper towels on cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt. After a few minutes blot eggplant slices dry & brush thoroughly with EVOO. Grill or bake (425 degrees) until tender.
- Cook the pasta JUST until al dente in salted boiling water. Drain well. Mix in melted butter, parmesan and Romano. Can be cut together with two knives.
- Cover the base and sides of bowl with pasta. Press firmly into place.
- Layer eggplant slices over base and sides of bowl over pasta, pressing into place.
- Layer tomato slices over eggplant.
- Layer cheese slices over tomatoes.
- Fill bowl with sausage mixture.
- Cover top with remainder of pasta mixture.
- Cover with tin foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove foil and broil until golden brown & crisp on top.
- Allow to set up at room temperature for 5-10 minutes, then carefully invert bowl over plate to remove Timpano.
- Slice vertically, serve and enjoy!
Serves 20 – 24 people